Information Technology Services Help:
use for: Northeastern logins, laptop and equipment loans, software assistance, printing
- Report an issue webform
- Tel (617) 373-HELP (x4357)
- Email help [at] northeastern.edu
use for: help with library books/e-books, databases and other content, Scholar OneSearch, research help citations
Frequently Asked Tech Support Questions:
- Error message: 400 Bad Request or This service requires cookies/An error occurred while processing your request...?
- Error message: The login process has failed. Please refer to the library for assistance. Sign out from the external authentication system
- in Ebscohost, how do I remove "ContentServer" errors appearing in my browser when trying to view a PDF?
- How do I access the Chronicle of Higher Education links on my smartphone and email?
- In Canvas, how do I create a stable link for a journal article or ebook for my students?
- In O'Reilly, what if I have an error saying "trial has ended"?
- How do I set up FindFullText linking in Endnote?
- How do I set up Library Lookup in Zotero?
This error sometimes occurs when a previous session did not completely close, or when you use the browser "back" button to the point where you logged in.
To fix this error, try clearing your cache and cookies. Completely close and restart the browser.
If that doesn't work, log out completely like this:
2. Completely close and restart your browser.
3. Go to http://library.northeastern.edu and try to log in and connect to your database or ejournal again.
To avoid this error:
Make a habit of completely closing your browser after a library session.
Do not use the "back" button in the browser to the point where you logged in.
Never bookmark the login page for a library resource. Instead, bookmark the site AFTER you log in, or right-click and bookmark the link BEFORE you click on it.
Cookies and library resources
We are contractually obligated to monitor for possible misuse of the electronic resources licensed by Northeastern University Libraries in order to help mitigate any unauthorized access. Therefore we cannot accept the following:
- "Anonymous" geographic IP access attempts
- Connections that switch geo-location within a single session
- Traffic from addresses suspected of misuse.
- Torproject exit nodes
Please turn off anonymizers, Tor, and similar software or use another network.
About cookies and security:
If you are using a firewall or network privacy program 'anonymizer', you may need to reconfigure it to allow cookies to be set from this server. However, please be advised that your ability to successfully connect through anonymizing software will be diminished. If you need a secure connection to library resources please consider using the Northeastern VPN service instead.
2. Error message: The login process has failed. Please refer to the library for assistance. Sign out from the external authentication system
Delete your cache (browsing history) and cookies.
Send us a message using the library's Report a Problem form. Please indicate your current status at Northeastern (for example, student, staff, faculty).
If you are using the Firefox browser on a Mac OSX computer, first, be sure you have an up-to-date version.
- Click on Firefox--About Firefox--Check for updates
If this does not solve the problem, change the preferences for opening PDFs
- Click on Firefox--Preferences--Applications--Portable Document format
- Select "Preview in Firefox"
4. How do I get access to the Chronicle of Higher Education links on my smartphone and from my email?
1. You can register and set up a personal account and password on the Chronicle web site using your Northeastern email. This personal account is free to you and will work anywhere in any browser.
2. If you have a personal account (see #1) and an iPad, you can use the Chronicle app.
3. The library offers a “bookmarklet”, which you can drag or save to your browser’s bookmarks list. It inserts “ezproxy.neu.edu” into the URL so you can log in with your myNEU username and password. No need to register a personal account.
Links to articles need to have "ezproxy.neu.edu" embedded in the link. For example:
If you need to insert this into a link, use the widget on this page to "proxy" the link, giving it a custom URL that will allow them to log in from off-campus.
Special instructions are available for
You may also ask your Subject Librarian for assistance with stable, persistent links.
What students can expect:
If students log into Blackboard at http:blackboard.neu.edu, their browser will "remember" them, and will be able to directly access library links to course readings embedded in the Blackboard course.
If students log into Blackboard via NUOnline, they may have to log in a second time to access library links to course readings.
This happens if you signed up for a trial, in which case it becomes impossible to re-register under Northeastern's subscription.
Please submit a help request form so we can ask the vendor to reset your account to permit you to register.
Please see the Find Full Text instructions here.
Library lookup allows you to search any item in your Zotero library in Scholar OneSearch, providing information about full text availability and links to ILLiad for ordering.
To do this:
Go to Zotero-->Preferences
In the General tab, copy and paste the following in the custom URL box: