Get help with:
- myNEU, NUSSO, hardware and printers: (617) 373-HELP (x4357) or help [at] neu.edu.
- Scholar OneSearch, digital repository, library databases and links: (617) 373-2356 or toll-free (855) 618-7512), or Report a problem online.
About computers, wireless access and software in the Snell Library
Frequently Asked Tech Support Questions
- Error message: 400 Bad Request or This service requires cookies/An error occurred while processing your request...?
- Blank screen appears when trying to access PDFs and other library content
- in Ebscohost, how do I remove "ContentServer" errors appearing in my browser when trying to view a PDF?
- How do I access the Chronicle of Higher Education links on my smartphone and email?
- NUSSO error: There is more than one user record that matches the supplied user id.
- In Blackboard, how do I create a stable link for a journal article or ebook for my students?
- In Factiva, how do I create a link to a Wall street journal article?
- How do I set up FindFullText linking in Endnote?
- How do I set up Library Lookup in Zotero?
This error sometimes occurs when a previous session did not completely close, or when you use the browser "back" button to the point where you logged in.
To fix this error, try clearing your cache and cookies. Completely close and restart the browser.
If that doesn't work, log out completely like this:
2. Completely close and restart your browser.
3. Go to http://library.northeastern.edu and try to log in and connect to your database or ejournal again.
To avoid this error:
Make a habit of completely closing your browser after a library session.
Do not use the "back" button in the browser to the point where you logged in.
Never bookmark the login page for a library resource. Instead, bookmark the site AFTER you log in, or right-click and bookmark the link BEFORE you click on it.
Cookies and library resources
We are contractually obligated to monitor for possible misuse of the electronic resources licensed by Northeastern University Libraries in order to help mitigate any unauthorized access. Therefore we cannot accept the following:
- "Anonymous" geographic IP access attempts
- Connections that switch geo-location within a single session
- Traffic from addresses suspected of misuse.
- Torproject exit nodes
Please turn off anonymizers, Tor, and similar software or use another network.
Delete your cache and cookies. If you don't want to delete your entire browser cache, you can first try deleting any cookies containing the string ezproxy.neu.edu
Licensing agreements for these databases require that access be extended only to authorized users. Once you have been validated by this system, a "cookie" is sent to your browser as an ongoing indication of your authorization to access these databases. This cookie only needs to be set once during login.
About cookies and security:
If you are using a firewall or network privacy program 'anonymizer', you may need to reconfigure it to allow cookies to be set from this server. However, please be advised that your ability to successfully connect through anonymizing software will be diminished. If you need a secure connection to library resources please consider using the Northeastern VPN service instead.
If you are using the Firefox browser on a Mac OSX computer, first, be sure you have an up-to-date version.
- Click on Firefox--About Firefox--Check for updates
If this does not solve the problem, change the preferences for opening PDFs
- Click on Firefox--Preferences--Applications--Portable Document format
- Select "Preview in Firefox"
4. How do I get access to the Chronicle of Higher Education links on my smartphone and from my email?
1. You can register and set up a personal account and password on the Chronicle web site using your Northeastern email. This personal account is free to you and will work anywhere in any browser.
2. If you have a personal account (see #1) and an iPad, you can use the Chronicle app.
3. The library offers a “bookmarklet”, which you can drag or save to your browser’s bookmarks list. It inserts “ezproxy.neu.edu” into the URL so you can log in with your myNEU username and password. No need to register a personal account.
When booking or requesting to reserve a room, if you are both a student and a staff member, try logging in with your staff ID. That should provide you with access to both staff and student rooms for reserving.
If that does not work, open a call with the ITS Help Desk at (617) 373-HELP (x4357)
Links to articles need to have "ezproxy.neu.edu" embedded in the link. For example:
If you need to insert this into a link, use the widget on this page to "proxy" the link, giving it a custom URL that will allow them to log in from off-campus.
Special instructions are available for
You may also ask your Subject Librarian for assistance with stable, persistent links.
What students can expect:
If students log into Blackboard at http:blackboard.neu.edu, their browser will "remember" them, and will be able to directly access library links to course readings embedded in the Blackboard course.
If students log into Blackboard via NUOnline, they may have to log in a second time to access library links to course readings.
Step 1: find your article
Search Scholar OneSearch for the article title and then click "View online-Factiva"
Connect to Factiva
- search for the article you need
- click "options"
- click "sources" and select "Wall Street Journal"
- click "search"
Step 2: link to your article
Click on the link that says "Share". In the pop-up box, select "In other accounts" and save the URL to paste in Blackboard, emails, or webpages for others at Northeastern to link to.
This link will work directly for anyone on the Northeastern campus, including wireless or VPN access.
For users off-campus, it will prompt for a Northeastern username and password before displaying the article.
Please see the Find Full Text instructions here.
Library lookup allows you to search any item in your Zotero library in Scholar OneSearch, providing information about full text availability and links to ILLiad for ordering.
To do this:
Go to Zotero-->Preferences
In the General tab, copy and paste the following in the custom URL box: