Course Reserves are materials that the library temporarily sets aside for class reading and viewing at a faculty member's request. These materials have shortened loan periods and are often restricted to in-library use.
Search the catalog for items on reserve:
For more information, see our borrow and renew pages.
Leganto: Simplify your course materials
- Save time: create, edit, and reuse course reading lists
- Save your students money: maximize use of university-subscribed content
- Gain insight: use analytics to see how students are engaging with course readings
What types of items can I put on reserve?
How do I submit a reserve request?
To ensure that materials for your course will be available to students during the first week of classes, we recommend submitting a reserve request no later than two weeks prior to the first day of classes.
For the standard form, click here.
Our suggested request deadline for Fall 2019 is Friday, August 23. After this date, we will continue to process reserve requests in the order in which they are received.
What happens to reserve items when the semester is over?
Snell Library maintains its course reserve system on a semester-to-semester basis. Courses and reading lists are not renewed automatically, and it is the responsibility of the instructor to provide the library with up-to-date course information.
- To re-create a reading list that you have used for reserve in past semesters, you must submit a new request.
- To extend an active reading list into the next semester, please contact us before the current semester’s last day of final exams* to request an extension. During intersession, all library-owned reserve items that have not been requested for extension will be taken off reserve and restored to general circulation. For information on personal copies, see here.
*Last day of final exams for Fall 2019 courses: December 13, 2019
Library staff accept print course reserve materials in compliance with U.S. Copyright Law and the provisions of fair use.
Our course reserve service supports the teaching activities of Northeastern University. The Northeastern University Library exercises the right to determine conditions of use and to refuse materials for reserve for legal or other reasons.
LibraryReserves [at] northeastern.edu