If you need an item that is unavailable at Northeastern, we will try to borrow it for you from another library.
Access your Library account
Access your ILLiad account
Important Service Update
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is ILLiad?
ILLiad is the software that Snell Library uses to process and manage all Interlibrary Loan requests.
Who can use Interlibrary Loan at Snell Library?
Interlibrary Loan is available to the following users at Northeastern.
- Currently enrolled students
- Faculty (including emeriti and visiting scholars)
If you are affiliated with the Law School, please contact the Law Library. For alumni, friends, and guests, please contact your public library or home institution.
Simplifying and Integrating Interlibrary Loan
As of June 1, 2016:
- All physical items borrowed via Interlibrary Loan will appear in your Scholar OneSearch account in addition to items borrowed from Snell Library.
- You may use your Scholar OneSearch account to request renewals. See the FAQ below for more information.
- All Interlibrary Loan items that are overdue by more than 3 days will accrue fines at the rate of $0.25 per day up to a maximum of $10.00.
Is there a charge for Interlibrary Loan?
Interlibrary Loan is a free service. However, overdue items accrue fines and in the event that an item is declared lost while on loan to you (overdue by more than 40 days) or damaged, you are responsible for any fees or costs that are charged by the lending library.
How do I renew an Interlibrary Loan item?
Please note that renewals are granted at the discretion of the lending library. Responses are typically received within 1-2 days.
- Log into your Scholar OneSearch account.
- Click the Renew ILLiad Items link.
- Click the transaction number of the item that you want to renew.
- Click the Renew Request link.
How do I obtain Northeastern dissertations and theses?
Most Northeastern dissertations and theses that were written after 2008 are available online in the Digital Repository Service. For access to older documents or other archival materials, please contact the Archives and Special Collections department.
Can I share my PDFs with others?
No, PDFs obtained via Interlibrary Loan are for your personal, non-commercial use only. For more information, see our page on Copyright and Interlibrary Loan.
What does the status of my Interlibrary Loan request mean?
As your request moves through ILLiad, its status will change accordingly. The following chart lists some common statuses that you might see.
|Awaiting Conditional Processing||A potential lending library has asked us for more information about your request, and we are responding.|
|Awaiting Copyright Clearance||The article that you requested may require us to pay a copyright fee, and we are verifying the validity and cost.|
|Awaiting Extensive Searching||The item that you requested is rare or difficult to locate, and we are conducting an in-depth search for a potential lending library.|
|Awaiting Odyssey Processing||Your article has arrived, and we are uploading it to your ILLiad account.|
|Awaiting Post Receipt Processing||Your item has arrived, and we are applying our paperwork to it.|
|Awaiting Request Processing||Your request has been received, and we are searching for potential lending libraries.|
|Awaiting Unfilled Processing||Unfortunately, no lending library could fill your request, and we are searching for other libraries or sources.|
|In Transit to Pickup Location||We have finished preparing your item, and we are placing it on the hold shelf.|
|Request Sent||Your request has been sent to one or more potential lending libraries, and we are waiting for a response.|
What should I do if I am having problems with ILLiad?
Most problems can be fixed by trying one or more of the following tips. If you still have problems, please contact us.
- Delete your browsing history and restart your browser.
- Use a different browser. We recommend the latest version of Google Chrome.
- Use another computer to see if the issue is unique to your computer.
- If you have ILLiad bookmarked with your myNEU username and password saved in your browser, log into your ILLiad account directly instead.
Information for Borrowing Libraries
Help and Contact
ill [at] northeastern.edu
Monday to Friday, 8am - 5pm
260 Snell Library
360 Huntington Ave
Boston, MA 02115