- Army ROTC established.
- Library Building occupied.
- Physical Education Center occupied.
- Faculty Committee on Development and Co-ordination of Research formed.
- School of Law closes.
- Hayden Hall occupied.
- Physical Education Center named Godfrey Lowell Cabot Physical Education Center.
- Student Center Building named Carl Stephens Ell Student Center.
- Graduate School established.
- Asa Smallidge Knowles is named President-Elect, October 1.
- Graduate Center occupied.
- Library Building named Robert Gray Dodge Library.
- Carl S. Ell retires, Asa Smallidge Knowles is inaugurated as third president.