Authorized Users are defined as: “Current members of the staff of Subscriber and individuals who are currently studying at the Subscriber's institution who are permitted to access the Network from the Sites and who have been provided with a password or authentication from Subscriber. Authorized Users may be persons remote from the Subscriber's physical location whose access is administered from the Authorized Site, but not persons at remote sites or campuses with separate administrations. For example, an employee of the Subscriber may be considered to be an Authorized User when accessing the Subscriber's network from home or while traveling to another city; however, employees of a branch campus or facility in another city are not considered to be Authorized Users, unless previously agreed to by ASTM. Walk-ins are also deemed to be Authorized Users when accessing ASTM content from within a Northeastern library but they do not have remote access privileges.
Authorized Users may:
- Search, view, retrieve and display the Licensed Material
- Electronically save parts of the Licensed Material for personal use
- Print off single copies of parts of the Licensed Material
- Distribute single copies of parts of the Licensed Material in print or electronic form to other Authorized Users
ASTM grants Authorized Users permission to use brief quotations from the content of the online journal with the customary acknowledgment of the source, and to copy and transmit content from individual articles in "person-to-person" and non-systematic exchanges of information between Authorized Users and specific individuals.
Provide links to content within course management software whereby content may only be accessed by current, registered class participants
- Neither the Subscriber nor Authorized Users may remove or alter the authors' names or ASTM's copyright notices or other means of identification or disclaimers as they appear in the Licensed Material
- Neither the Licensee nor Authorized Users may systematically make print or electronic copies of multiple extracts of the Licensed Material for any purpose
- Neither the Licensee nor Authorized Users may provide, by electronic means, to a user at another library or site, a retained electronic copy of any part of the Licensed Material.
- Neither the Licensee nor Authorized Users may mount or distribute any part of the Licensed Material on any electronic network, including without limitation the Internet and the World Wide Web, without ASTM's explicit written permission.
- Altering, recompiling, systematic or programmatic copying, reselling, redistributing, publishing or republishing (beyond the brief quotations permitted under Section 4) of any journal text, output, search result, or other information from the Licensed Materials, or any portion thereof, including without limitation, copyright, proprietary and/or other legal notices contained therein, in any form or medium is prohibited.
ASTM's explicit written permission must be obtained in order to:
- Use the whole or any part of the Licensed Material for any Commercial Use
- Systematically distribute the whole or part of the Licensed Material to anyone other than Authorized Users
- Publish, distribute or make available the Licensed Material, works based on the Licensed Material or works which combine it with any other material, other than as permitted in this License
- Alter, abridge, adapt or modify the Licensed Material, except to the extent necessary to make it perceptible on a computer screen, or as otherwise permitted in this License, to Authorized Users. For the avoidance of doubt, no alteration of the words or their order is permitted.
- All rights not expressly granted herein are reserved to ASTM. The Sites and Authorized Users may not circumvent any access control systems or use ASTM's systems or services to make any attempt to gain unauthorized access to any other system or network.