Frequently Used Style Guides
- AIP (American Institute of Physics)  manuscript guidelines
- AMA Manual of Style  (American Medical Association, licensed resource, login required off-campus)
- Annals  (AAG)
- APA 6th Update 2010  (Purdue OWL)
- ASA  (Purdue OWL)
- Chicago Manual of Style 
- IEEE  examples and editorial guidelines
- MLA Update 2009  (Purdue OWL)
- Turabian  (University of Chicago Press)
How do I cite?
If you are writing a paper or assignment, consult your instructor about the proper style used in your discipline.
If you are writing for publication, check the author guidelines on a publisher's web page for the required style.
Why do I need to cite?
Using footnotes, bibliographies, and similar strategies serves two main purposes:
1. It gives credit to the person who created the idea.
2. It allows your readers to locate the sources you used, so they can read or judge them for themselves.
Is there software to help manage my citations?
Yes! Both EndNote  and RefWorks  are licensed for use by current NU faculty, staff, and students. Either program can help you collect and manage your references, and auto-format citations and bibliographies in your papers.