RefWorks helps you manage your bibliography and citations, and can be accessed from any computer connected to the Internet. You store your citations on the RefWorks website, and use a Microsoft Word plugin to automatically create bibliographies. RefWorks is licensed for use by current NU faculty, staff, and students.
Create or Access your RefWorks Account
Log into RefWorks. If you do not already have an account, start with "create account".
update: there is a version of Write-n-Cite for WINDOWS that's compatible with Word 2016. Write-n-Cite for MAC is not compatible with Word 2016.
Get Write-n-Cite (the RefWorks extension for Word)
See warning above. To download the newest version, you should uninstall Write-n-Cite 4 first.
1. Log into your account on the RefWorks website.
2. Go to "More" (the image of three vertical dots) then Tools, then Refworks Citation Manager. This installs a toolbar into Microsoft Word. As of July 2016: Proquest reports that this is not compatible with Word 2016 for Macs. (Mac users: use "Create a Bibliography" instead.)
Start Here for RefWorks Help
- Learn to Use RefWorks in 20 Minutes (video playlist, provided by RefWorks)
- Add References Via Direct Export (video, provided by RefWorks)
- Inserting Citations and Creating Bibliographies in Microsoft Word (video, provided by RefWorks)
- For help using RefWorks: Ask a Librarian
- For immediate help from the RefWorks company: (775) 327-4105, 9am to 8pm Eastern time.
Use RefWorks As an Alum
It's part of our whole suite of services for alumni.